Thursday, May 19, 2016

He is with you wherever you are

By Basant Khairallah



The title for my artwork is “He is with you wherever you are” and I have it printed on an A3, and I used AutoCAD to trace the writing of calligraphy and added a photo that I took of the Sheikh Zayed mosque as the background and using Photoshop I put them together.

The statement I used is related to hope and how it gives a person a peace of mind knowing that no matter what there is someone looking out for them. I used calligraphy writing to relate it to Islam and the main aim of Islam is peace. I used the mosque in the background as well to portray peace. And the image was taken by and I tried capturing the ambiance of peace.
The person that inspired the concept behind my work is calligraphist El SEED. He is a French-Tunisian street artist whose works incorporate traditional Arabic calligraphy. His art was born on the streets of Paris, and now adorns walls across every continent. Incorporating elements of both the graffiti and Arabic calligraphic traditions, EL Seed is known for his unique style of calligraphy, which uses intricate composition to call not only on the words and their meaning, but also on their movement, to lure the viewer into a different state of mind. His work gives people hope and he does a lot of awareness project. In his new project ‘perception’ which he did in the neighborhood of Manshiyat Nasr In Cairo, the community of Zaraeeb Collects the trash of the city for decades and it developed the most efficient and highly profitable recycling system on a global level Still, the place is perceived as dirty, marginalized and segregated.  With the help of his team he managed to bring light to the place by bringing light on this community the peace that he worked on he uses the words of Saint Athanasius of Alexandria, a Coptic Bishop from the 3rd century, that said: ‘Anyone who wants to see the sunlight clearly needs to wipe his eye first.

I am an Arab girl born in the UAE but Egyptian by blood I study interior design at the American university in Dubai, I always had an interest in calligraphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment