Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Islam as it is, not what you think it is!





Ashish Bindal

We all have a stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists. This is the perceived notion in the minds of almost all people and this mind-set is there for a very long time. However, in my personal opinion, this is not true. I have been living in Dubai for more than 10 years and this stereotype is just not true. I am studying in American University in Dubai, since last three years and have come across many Muslims and also made friends. I can vouch that this is not true. Not all Muslims are terrorists. Just because some of them have been seen doing acts of violence and being engaged in terrorism doesn’t mean that all Muslims are the same. We cannot give a general statement for all the people belonging to that community. 

For my art project, I took a plastic plate whose borders are green in color and white in the middle. The borders are of arabesque and floral design. I used golden color stained glass glitter glue, to write an Islamic verse by Omar Ahmed in the middle of the plate. The verse says:

“I think Islam has been hijacked by the idea that all Muslims are terrorists; I think that hijacks the spirituality and beauty that exists within Islam. I believe in allowing Islam to be seen in context and being judged on what it really is, not what you think it is”. 

Mr. Omar Ahmad is the founder of the Council on American-Islam Relations, Washington D.C. His Islamic sayings are very much recognized. His works influenced me and the above verse perfectly supports my argument that the stereotype view of most of the people about, Muslims are terrorist, is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment