Saturday, November 28, 2015

Peace and Islam: a tale of a digital artwork



By HAGAR AHMED



For the final project I am working on two things. First thing is a part of a verse from the Qur'an  , it talks about how people come from different places and ethnic identities and the purpose is for them to meet. Wherever you come from, it does not really matter, in the end we are all the same and we all can be together despite any difference. For example, if I came from Egypt and another person came from Iraq, we can easily interact peacefully and have a friendship or work together. My interpretation of the verse is the following: Allah is telling us 'I made you this way to connect with others'.





         

I am going to use a program while writing this verse - Adobe Illustrator. I had to learn how to use it for the purpose of this project and I found it interesting, and I like that I gained a new skill out of the project. Using this program to write the verse in Kufi works with a grid page and filling every square, is similar to what we have done in class while using a paper grid.  

The second thing I am going to work on is the calligraphy design. I am going to design the printed verse from the Qur'an with random calligraphy letters. It is my first time I draw free-style letters but I really like how they look like. I am going to use a pencil in the beginning and then I am going to use a red marker. I will put these letters in a border surrounding the verse from the Qur'an. 

Calligraphy is a visual art in a form of writing; usually a brush is used to paint the letters but here I am using a pencil and markers.   The letters I chose were randomly picked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment